[NTG-context] \triangledown placed too low in Palatino

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 15 14:12:57 CEST 2014

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:

>> So \triangle is a math ord and \bigtriangleup a math bin.
>>
>> For compatibility, that should probably stay true in ConTeXt too---even
>> the low placement of \bigtriangledown, which I don't understand but
>> which does reproduce plain TeX's placement.
>
> why? if compatibility means 'not useable' we should fix it

Thus, a question for the purer mathematicians on the list: Are there
uses for the lower placement of \bigtriangledown?  As a physicists, I
have used that shape only for the gradient operator (for which one has
\nabla).  But maybe it is used in, say, category theory with a lower
placement?

-Sanjoy