[NTG-context] \triangledown placed too low in Palatino

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 14 11:30:51 CEST 2014

> I can change things but will only do that when all you mathematicians
> have some agreement about it ...

Otared points out that the distinction between \triangle and
\bigtriangleup comes from plain TeX.  plain.tex has these definitions:

\mathchardef\triangle="0234
\mathchardef\bigtriangleup="2234

So \triangle is a math ord and \bigtriangleup a math bin.

For compatibility, that should probably stay true in ConTeXt too---even
the low placement of \bigtriangledown, which I don't understand but
which does reproduce plain TeX's placement.

> Btw, it is still on my agenda to provide a mechanism for switching
> between math dictionaries (i.e. group symbols in group switch if needed
> different properties) so that one can switch between logic,
> statistics, streetfighting or whatever math.

Hm, like different dialects of a language.  Plain TeX definitely speaks
a pure-mathematician dialect.  It would be interesting to see what
symbol groups are useful in other dialects.

-Sanjoy