[NTG-context] Linenumbering and bidi

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Fri Mar 28 23:57:37 CET 2014

On 2014-03-28 18:25, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 3/28/2014 10:45 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> I have requirements similar to those of Stéphane Goujet to reproduce the
>> typography of earlier times, and I tried to adapt the code presented in
>> his note earlier today titled “Quotation blocs with repetition symbol in
>> the left column.”
>>
>> The result of this attempt is the discovery of two issues with
>> linenumbering. I will present these in separate notes. This note
>> involves an unfortunate interaction with bidi. The other problem
>> involves startnarrower.
>>
>> Both issues occur with the current 20140328 beta.
>>
>> Adding the line \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two] to Stéphane’s
>> example results in the disappearance of the guillemots that would
>> otherwise be placed as linenumbers. In my case, this bidi variant is
>> needed to prevent misplaced references. The issue of misplaced
>> references was discusssed in a recent thread by Pablo Rodriguez (Re:
>> [NTG-context] (again) bug with bidi direction and \about references,
>> begun on 3 March).
>>
>> The bidi issue does not occur with TL2013, although perhaps method=two
>> is meaningless there. Other bidi options do not show this problem.
>
> proper minimal example needed
>
> Hans

This should do. I also include commented statements for the
startnarrower issue.

    \setupdirections [bidi=on,method=two]
    %\setupdirections [bidi=on]
    \definelinenumbering[fail][location=text,width=.75em]
    \definestartstop[bloccitel][before={\startlinenumbering[fail]},
                                 after={\stoplinenumbering}]
    \starttext
    %\setupnarrower[left=3cm,right=2cm]
    %\startnarrower[left,right]
    Now, a quote block starting just there, \startbloccitel
    \input tufte
    \stopbloccitel . This a bit of text at the end of the quotation.
    %\stopnarrower