[NTG-context] suppressing console output

Lars Huttar lars_huttar at sil.org
Wed Mar 19 17:37:27 CET 2014

On 3/19/2014 11:45 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 3/19/2014 4:37 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> In our case these amount to pages and pages of output, because our
>> document consists of many many files that reference each other
>> (including images). So I would vote a big +1 for that change.
>
> doesn't --batchmode help then?

My mistake... --batchmode does seem to get rid of the file open/close
messages. (Until I learned that --noconsole takes an argument, there was
still so much output that it was hard to see a difference in output due
to --batchmode.)

Unfortunately, --batchmode also seems to suppresses printing fatal error
messages and stopping on them (as its --help documentation suggests). So
when the tex code has an error, the compilation continues to the end
(wasting significant time) and then exits with a failure status code,
but no indication of where the error occurred.

So --batchmode doesn't really seem to be an option for us.
Unless we use batchmode most of the time and then rerun without
batchmode after an error occurs.

I tried having the build script discard stdout from the context process
(with --noconsole=tmp.log but without --batchmode). But apparently, the
error output of context goes to stdout instead of stderr: Context stops
on a fatal error but the error message and prompt are lost, and the
process hangs, waiting for the user to respond to a message they can't see.

Lars