[NTG-context] suppressing console output

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 19 16:36:44 CET 2014

On 3/19/2014 4:29 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> On 3/19/2014 11:09 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> There are two types of messages that ConTeXt generates: Messages that
>>> come from TeX engine and messages that come from ConTeXt macro code. If
>>> you use
>>>
>>> context --noconsole filename
>>>
>>> the messages from ConTeXt are suppressed.
>
> Thanks, Aditya. I will try adding a filename argument.
> This does seem to get rid of a lot of non-critical output, though not
> all, as you noted in your followup email.
>
>>> I don't know of a way to
>>> suppress messages that originate from TeX engine.
>>
>> \dontcomplain
>
> Is there any documentation about what kinds of complaints this
> suppresses? I couldn't find any in the usual places. Apparently it is a
> ConTeXt command rather than a primitive TeX one.

\show\dontcomplain

if console output is slowing down a run make sure you have an efficient
console (i use conemu on windows and on unixes i always make sure that i
use a proper font); sometimes you can set delays (standard cmd on
windows is char-by-char but there are variants); when one runs from an
editor normally the drawbacks are neglectable (at leats in scite)