[NTG-context] Trimming strings and Lua string.trim question

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Thu Mar 6 16:04:51 CET 2014

On 2014-03-06 05:38, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 3/6/2014 12:00 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> On 2014-03-05 10:54, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> This should be “utilities.strings.striplong” but it has no effect
>>> because when take a look
>>> at the saved string in Lua you can see that blank lines are removed
>>> from the text.
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> Indeed. This does build without error, but the
>> utilities.strings.striplong result is worse than the string.strip
>> result, with some additional whitespace at the end of the test string
>> from the earlier example.
>
> the definition of 'worse' depends on expectations and given the fact
> that in tex a newline or two newlines in a row have a different
> meaning it is just a guess what you want to achieve
>
> anyway, the next beta will have
>
> local str = table.concat( {
> "  ",
> "    aap",
> "  noot mies",
> "  ",
> "    ",
> " zus    wim jet",
> "zus    wim jet",
> "       zus    wim jet",
> "    ",
> }, "\n")
>
> utilities.strings.striplines(str,'prune'):
>
> [[aap
> noot mies
>

> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet]]
>
> utilities.strings.striplines(str,'prune and collapse'):
>
> [[aap
> noot mies
>
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet]]
>
> utilities.strings.striplines(str,'prune and no empty'):
>
> [[aap
> noot mies
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet]]
>
> utilities.strings.striplines(str,'retain'):
>
> [[
> aap
> noot mies
>

> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> ]]
>
> utilities.strings.striplines(str,'retain and collapse'):
>
> [[
> aap
> noot mies
>
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> ]]
>
> utilities.strings.striplines(str,'retain and no empty'):
>
> [[
> aap
> noot mies
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> zus    wim jet
> ]]
>
> so you can choose what you like
>
> Hans

indeed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for the flexible solution that allows each of us to find beauty.

Could you please ensure that this handles text in buffers the same way
that it handles other strings? I noticed that this is handled a bit
differently, as the following shows,but perhaps it is my clumsy coding.
The buffer result is closer to what I expect in terms of internal
whitespace, but still does not show expected trimming of leading and
trailing whitespace. That trimming, of course, is the point of the exercise.

    \def\StringsStripLong#1%
       {\ctxlua{context(utilities.strings.striplong([==[#1]==]))}}

    \def\StringStrip#1%
       {\ctxlua{context(string.strip([==[#1]==]))}}

    \startbuffer[testbuffer]

    B This is a test.

    And it has an unexpected result.

    \stopbuffer

    \long\def\testmacro{

    M This is a test.

    And it has an unexpected result.

    }

    \starttext

    \subject{Lua string.strip passed TeX buffer}
    ¦\StringStrip{\getbuffer[testbuffer]}¦

    \subject{Lua string.strip passed TeX macro}
    ¦\StringStrip{\testmacro}¦

    \subject{Lua utilities.strings.striplong passed TeX buffer}
    ¦\StringsStripLong{\getbuffer[testbuffer]}¦

    \subject{Lua utilities.strings.striplong passed TeX macro}
    ¦\StringsStripLong{\testmacro}¦

Rik