[NTG-context] (critical edition) wrong page breaks with linenotes

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Tue Mar 4 19:19:54 CET 2014

Hi Thomas, Luigi and Hans,

I have a sample (http://www.ousia.tk/hefestio-ctx.tex) that
shows problematic page breaks with notes in paragraph form. This is
especially relevant for linenotes in critical editions.

The compiled version (http://www.ousia.tk/hefestio-ctx.pdf) shows
results at twelve, thirteen and fourteen points.

I know I’m using a font that is not part of the ConTeXt Suite, but it
is the one that gives me the faulty results. Of course, it isn’t the
only problematic one.

In the source, \setupnote is set in both linenotes to
[split=verystrict, scope=page] to avoid having linenotes that refer to
a line from the previous page.

If I’m not missing something or doing something wrong, I think that a
way to solve this (sorry, I don’t know the internals, but the
suggestion might be a valid one) is to set a kind of penalty that does
the following: if the line in its final position doesn’t observe the
space before of the first apparatus, it should be moved to the next
page.

Isn’t this proposal similar to the way widow and orphans are avoided by
setting penalties?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--