[NTG-context] narrowered columns on background image?

Rudolf Bahr quasi at quasi.de
Wed Feb 12 16:50:30 CET 2014

Hi All,

in the following two code examples I tried to place text in columns on a background image.
The first example, partly achieved by plain TeX commands is ok, even narrowering works.
Have a look at the attached .pdf file.

The second example isn't ok. Neither narrowering nor putting the text into columns work.
Though the code of the first example is completely good enough for me, I'd like to learn where my
mistakes in the 2. example are. Any ideas?

Greetings, Rudolf

%---1. example------------------------------------------------------------------->8---------------
\setupexternalfigures
    [location={local,global,default}]

\useexternalfigure[moe][cow.pdf][width=\hsize, height=.4\vsize]

\def\txt
        {
        \startnarrower
        \setupcolumns[n=3, rule=off, align=right, distance=10pt]
        \startcolumns
                \startcolor[darkred]
                It was a dark and stormy night. The rain came down in tons. The old captain
                said: \quotation{Antonio, come and tell us a story!} And Antonio began as follows:
                \quotation{It was a dark and stormy night. The rain ...}
                \stopcolor
        \stopcolumns
        \stopnarrower
        }

\starttext

\vbox to .4\textheight{\externalfigure[moe]}
\vskip-.35\textheight
\txt

%---2. example-----

\vskip.3\vsize

\useexternalfigure[muh][cow.pdf][width=\overlaywidth, height=\overlayheight]

\setupframed[height=.4\vsize, width=\hsize]
\defineoverlay
        [muh]
        [{\externalfigure[muh]}]

\framed