[NTG-context] special case to disable italic correction

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Sun Jan 26 20:24:07 CET 2014

Hi Hans,

after reading the relevant part for italic correction in fonts-mkiv.pdf
and enabling it in my documents, I have found a case in which the italic
correction could be improved.

My settings are:

  \definefontfeature[default][default][itlc=yes]
  \setupitaliccorrection[global,always]

If I get it right, the italic correction should be avoided before points
and commas (these are all the exceptions I can imagine for this case).
The explanation is simple: the space is already at the base line, since
at the glyph base, the inclination of the italic or slanted glyph makes
the right side-bearing larger at the baseline. The issue with italic
correction is mainly with ascenders or at the cap height, but I think it
isn’t at the base line (or the descenders). Because of that I think it
is important to disable italic correction before points and commas.

The sample shows the issue:

\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\definefontfeature[default][default][itlc=yes]
\setupitaliccorrection[global,always]
\starttext
\startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
Abf. {\em Abf}.\\
Abf, {\em Abf},\\
Abf. {\it Abf}.\\
Abf, {\it Abf},
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

I think it might be worth considering.

Many thanks for your help and your excellent work,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk