[NTG-context] \placeinital special case

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Jan 25 01:49:35 CET 2014

On 1/24/2014 10:11 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I came across a special case where \placeinital would need some tuning.
> (It was found in Eglinton, G. and Calvin, M. (1966) "Chemical Fossils",
> Scientific American 216, 32-43.)
>
> In the following minimal example, the period following the capital W
> should be dropped as well, being kept associated with the initial.
>
> \starttext
> \placeinitial
> W. H. Bradley of the U.S. Geological Survey has sought a contemporary
> counterpart of the richly organic ooze that presumably gave rise to the
> Green River shale. So far he has located only four lakes, two in the
> U.S. and two in Africa, that seem to be reasonable candidates.
> \stoptext
>
> This curiosity is by no means an important problem, and perhaps one can
> identify other such cases (but I have not thought much about it!).
> Fixing this is probably trivial or it might be a challenge depending
> on how \placeinitial is implemented (I have not looked into fixing it
> either). I only report this to help ConTeXt continue to evolve towards
> the highest quality computer typesetting available.

hm, so in order to fulfill that need ... a new beta . as a coincidence a
buglet in luatex was discovered and fixed -)

\setupbodyfont[dejavu,9pt]

\starttext

\startbuffer
\placeinitial[two]            D. E. Knuth  \ignorespaces\input knuth \par
\placeinitial[two]                  Knuth  \ignorespaces\input knuth \par
\placeinitial[two] \quotation{D. E. Knuth} \ignorespaces\input knuth \par
\placeinitial[two] \quotation      {Knuth} \ignorespaces\input knuth \par
\stopbuffer

\type{m=2}                          \defineinitial[two][m=2]
               \getbuffer \page
\type{m=1,method=auto}              \defineinitial[two][m=1,method=auto]
              \getbuffer \page
\type{m=1,method={auto,first,last}}
\defineinitial[two][m=1,method={first,auto,last}] \getbuffer \page

\stoptext

so you can make nice docs now