[NTG-context] Some questions on float combinations

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 7 17:13:43 CET 2014

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:43:51 +0100
Hans Hagen wrote:

> It all depends on it being floats or not (floatign indeed). One
> option is to package a set of floats in a bTABLE .. eTABLE and put
> a..z subcaptions under it that way and then have the whole as a float

Well, I actually don't need floats, because each image has a fixed
position. However the problem is to get captions properly formatted and
numbered. Again, in LaTeX it would be easy to output captions
separately from the corresponding images, but I haven't found how to do
that in ConTeXt. That's what causes me to use floats (and pack them
into floatcombinations if necessary).

> anyway ... you have more chance onan answer if you provide small
> examples

My code currently looks like the following:

\defineparagraphs[DoubleL][n=2]

\starttext

\centerline{\rotate[rotation=90]{
  \startDoubleL
    \placefigure[force]
      {My first caption}
      {\externalfigure[dummy][width=1in,height=3in]}
  \nextDoubleL
    \placefigure[force]
      {My second caption}
      {\externalfigure[dummy][width=1in,height=1in]}
    \placefigure[force]
      {My third caption}
      {\externalfigure[dummy][width=1in,height=1in]}
  \stopDoubleL
}}

\stoptext

As I have explained, this works, but it would prefer to use a
floatcombination syntax to describe this type of layout just like I
would use it for two images placed side-by-side. I. e. it would be nice
if ConTeXt supported something like the following:

\startfloatcombination[2*1]
   \placefigure[force]
      {My first caption}
      {\externalfigure[dummy][width=1in,height=3in]}
  \startfloatcombination[1*2]
    \placefigure[force]
      {My second caption}
      {\externalfigure[dummy][width=1in,height=1in]}
    \placefigure[force]
      {My third caption}
      {\externalfigure[dummy][width=1in,height=1in]}
  \stopfloatcombination
\stopfloatcombination

Another small problem is that combinations and floatcombinations,
unlike single floats, have no 'rotation' parameter, so that I have to
embed them into a rotation command. This seems just a bit inconsistent.

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Faculty of History