[NTG-context] ConTeXt hyphenation patterns for Indic languages

Rajeesh K Nambiar rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 14:17:05 CET 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 1:06 PM, Rajeesh K Nambiar wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have tried to generate the hyphenation patterns for Malayalam
>> language from the TeX hyphenation patterns, but the unicode characters
>> were skipped. On TeXLive 2013, ConTeXt version 2013.04.20, this is
>> what was tried:
>>
>> 1.  Uncommented line for "ml" in mtx-patterns.lua
>> 2.  Ran "mtxrun --script patterns --convert
>> --path=/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/txt/
>> --destination=/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/context/patterns/"
>> 3. Output shows all patterns are removed with similar messages to:
>> "mtx-patterns    | removing line with suspected utf character അ
>> (0x0D05), category lo: 1അ1"
>>
>> What is the proper way to add hyphenation patterns for a new language?
>>
>> In addition, how to add a 'new language' to the ConTeXt base (such
>> that \language[ml] can be used? I see "base/lang-ind.mkii" where I
>> could add "\setupheadtext" etc for the language, what is the
>> equivalent for mkiv?
>

> we need an entry in lang-def.mkiv

I was fiddling with lang-def.mkiv but "undefined control sequence"
error was stopping me, will try to figure out the error.

> i uploaded a beta that has the patterns and language definitions .. but up
> to you to check it and provide better settings if needed

Okay, is the best way to install beta to use the "Standalone ConTeXt"
mechanism? Is it advisable to uninstall ConTeXt from TeXLive if so?
(wiki says Context Standalone for Linux 32 bit is complied with
glibc-2.3.6 while I have glibc-2.17).