[NTG-context] announcement and call

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Thu Nov 14 21:55:19 CET 2013

On 11/14/2013 09:40 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
> Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
> parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
> already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
> sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].

For certain values of "pressing" :-) Two pessimistic remarks about that:
(1) I experimented with a mechanism that Hans build for mkii a while
ago, and I found it difficult to decide how to define what was expected
of parallel typesetting. In the end, I wasn't convinced that an entirely
automated version was possible at all. (2) I'm afraid that's not part of
the present project and is related neither to critical editions nor to
bibliographies.

> Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
> directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
> self-contained module?

During development, we need to keep the code separate since we need to
document what we do for our funding agency, but it will be part of ConTeXt.

Thomas