[NTG-context] MacOsX Mavericks and Luatex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Oct 24 16:17:13 CEST 2013

On 10/24/2013 4:12 PM, Schmitz Thomas A. wrote:

> On 24 Oct 2013, at 09:01, Schmitz Thomas A. <thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
>>   But so far, I have not been able to unset OSFONTDIR and make context ignore this directory. (Unlike some people in a recent discussion, my preference would be to NOT include any system fonts by default: it slows rebuilding the formats down, people who want it can achieve it, and it’s generally a bad idea). I’ll see if I can figure out how to do this and will report back, but for the time being, context cannot be used on Mavericks…
>
> I’m getting slightly annoyed, please excuse my rant. I DO NOT want context to search for system fonts. What I have done is:
>
> 1. delete the lines
>
>    elseif osname=="macosx" then
>      ossetenv("OSFONTDIR","$HOME/Library/Fonts//;/System/Library/Fonts//“ etc.
>
> in mtxrun.lua. Rebuild formats. Result when I compile a file:
>
> fonts           > names > globbing path '/Library/Fonts/**.ttf’
> mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex: execution interrupted
>
> 2. set an environment variable OSFONTDIR, rebuild formats. Result: same as above
>
> Why, oh why is context doing this? Just because some lazy people want their “system fonts” used, why is it impossible to make a clean separation? I only want fonts in my tex-trees used and searched, nothing else.

Hm. The problem is that we get some oscillation (with a few year cycle)
between the 'demand' for os fonts support vs tree only (as far as
remember os font support was mostly requested by osx users). Anyhow, we
can make it an option, but then the question is: what is the default
(and who is going to defend that choice to distributers and users).

Hans

(who never uses system fonts anyway)