[NTG-context] MacOsX Mavericks and Luatex

Schmitz Thomas A. thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Thu Oct 24 09:12:25 CEST 2013

On 24 Oct 2013, at 09:01, Schmitz Thomas A. <thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>  But so far, I have not been able to unset OSFONTDIR and make context ignore this directory. (Unlike some people in a recent discussion, my preference would be to NOT include any system fonts by default: it slows rebuilding the formats down, people who want it can achieve it, and it’s generally a bad idea). I’ll see if I can figure out how to do this and will report back, but for the time being, context cannot be used on Mavericks…

I’m getting slightly annoyed, please excuse my rant. I DO NOT want context to search for system fonts. What I have done is:

1. delete the lines

  elseif osname=="macosx" then
    ossetenv("OSFONTDIR","$HOME/Library/Fonts//;/System/Library/Fonts//“ etc.

in mtxrun.lua. Rebuild formats. Result when I compile a file:

fonts           > names > globbing path '/Library/Fonts/**.ttf’
mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex: execution interrupted

2. set an environment variable OSFONTDIR, rebuild formats. Result: same as above

Why, oh why is context doing this? Just because some lazy people want their “system fonts” used, why is it impossible to make a clean separation? I only want fonts in my tex-trees used and searched, nothing else.

Thomas