[NTG-context] Simplefonts

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 19:39:15 CEST 2013

Am 12.10.2013 um 15:04 schrieb Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen at gmail.com>:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Good to know that, but I might have some questions.
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m happy to announce a new version of the simplefonts code. Thew new version of the code
> is a complete rewrite and brings many changes.
>
> 1. The module is now part of the core and no external module is needed anymore.
>
> 2. The commands to select a font have changed to commands which fit better to context normal syntax.
>
> 3. I removed the keys to enable font expansion and protrusion, when you need them use \definefontfeature.
>

> To use a font with the simplefonts code two ways are available. The first method is to create
> one or more typefaces and load it with \setupbodyfont. A complete example for this is:
>
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [DejaVu Serif]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [DejaVu Sans]
> \definefontfamily [mainface] [mono]  [DejaVu Sans Mono] [feature=none]
> It seems the keyword here is "features"? Only the plural version works here in my newest beta.

Yes, the name of the key is “features”, the missing “s” was a typo.

> \definefontfamily [mainface] [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
> \starttext
> \startlines
> \rm DejaVu Serif
> \ss DejaVu Sans
> \tt DejaVu Sans Mono
> \m{c^2 = a^2 + b^2}
> \stoplines
> \stoptext
>

> The second method is similar to the old commands of the simplefonts module (e.g. \setmainfont)
> where the font is enabled after it was set and no \setupbodyfont is necessary. Below is a example
> for this method but I recommend to avoid this method because it’s slow when you set font a font
> for each style in your document.
>
> \setupfontfamily [serif] [DejaVu Serif]
> \setupfontfamily [sans]  [DejaVu Sans]
> \setupfontfamily [mono]  [DejaVu Sans Mono] [feature=none]
> \setupfontfamily [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>
> \starttext
> \startlines
> \rm DejaVu Serif
> \ss DejaVu Sans
> \tt DejaVu Sans Mono
> \m{c^2 = a^2 + b^2}
> \stoplines
> \stoptext
>

> Another feature of simplefonts is the ability to set a fallback font when you need certain glyphs
> from a different font (e.g. for cyrillic ) which aren’t available in the mainfont of the document.
> To set such a fallback font the code provides the \definefallbackfamily command where you
> can set in the fourth argument the range for the replacement characters.
>
> \definefallbackfamily [mainface] [serif] [DejaVu Serif] [range=cyrillic,force=yes]
> What if I want to use the CJK font? The code in  "font-sel.mkvi" hints I could use range=chinese but it didn't work. I have to use interval {0x00400-0x2FA1F} explicitly.

When you take a look into char-def.lua you can see names certain character ranges and “range=cyrillic”
used such a name.

For a chinese font you need “range={cjkunifiedideographs,cjkunifiedideographsextensiona,…}".
Because the list with names is very long you do this setup only once with the \definefontfamilypreset
command, e.g.

  \definefontfamilypreset[chinese][range={cjkunifiedideographs,cjkunifiedideographsextensiona,…}]

and load this setup when you set the font with \definefontfamilyfallback, e.g.

For the moment I added three presets “chinese”, “japanese” and “korean” but they need better
names, e.g. “range:chinese” because there could be also “features:chinese” etc.

> And how can I assign the boldfont, italicfont and bolditalicfont? I'm currently using the Adobe Song Std as the regular font but it didn't come with a bold version or else, hence I might need this feature.

The module provides keys to apply a certain font and feature for each alternative (upright, italic etc.)
of a font, a complete list with all keys is shown in the table below.

| Alternative | Font            | Feature             |
|-----------------------------------------------------|
| tf          | regularfont     | regularfeatures     |
| it          | italicfont      | italicfeatures      |
| sl          | slantedfont     | slantedfeatures     |
| bf          | boldfont        | boldfeatures        |
| bi          | bolditalicfont  | bolditalicfeatures  |
| bs          | boldslantedfont | boldslantedfeatures |
| sc          | smallcapsfont   | smallcapsfeatures   |

The feature-keys expect the name from the \definefontfeature command, when you don’t
specify a feature to a certain alternative the value from the “features” key is used.

When you want to set a certain font for a alternative there are different ways, I’m going
to show the different ways with a few examples where I change the font for italic.

1. Use the filename of a font. With the “file:” prefix you can the tell the module
to look for a file with the given name, when the file isn’t found the font from
the tf-alternative is used. The file-method is also used when you omit the prefix.

\setupfontfamily [serif] [DejaVu Serif] [italicfont=file:dejavuserifbold]

\starttext
Regular and \it Italic
\stoptext

2. Use a certain style. When you use the “style: ”prefix the module looks for a certain
style of the requested font.

\setupfontfamily [serif] [DejaVu Serif] [italicfont=style:bolditalic]

\starttext
Regular and \it Italic
\stoptext

3. Search for a font with a certain name. When you use the “name:” prefix the module
looks for a font with the requested name. Names are internal values of a font which
is sometimes the same as the filename.

\setupfontfamily [serif] [DejaVu Serif] [italicfont=name:dejavuserifbold]

\starttext
Regular and \it Italic
\stoptext

4. Use the spec information. When you use the “spec:” prefix you can request a font
with a certain “weight” (bold or normal), “style” (italic or normal) and variant (smallcaps or normal).

\setupfontfamily [serif] [DejaVu Serif] [italicfont=spec:bold-italic]

\starttext
Regular and \it Italic
\stoptext

There is a possibility that I change the way to set font and features for alternatives
in the feature to a way which is more compact and easier to parse in Lua.

Wolfgang