[NTG-context] Bug: Reloading Font

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Oct 12 02:19:16 CEST 2013

On 10/12/2013 2:15 AM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> ···<date: 2013-10-12, Saturday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···
>
>> On 10/12/2013 12:48 AM, Thangalin wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Keep in mind it was only Copperplate 33 BC. Also note that I could not
>>> find any version of Copperplate 33 BC online that had the same file
>>> size as my corrupt version. (I was trying to find the source of the
>>> corrupt copy.)
>>>
>>> Most other copies, I'd imagine, are fine, so don't be too quick to blacklist it.
>>
>> indeed, and when you don't notice that it's blacklisted, it can happen
>> that this one instance gets unnoticed

>>> Sounds like the real solution is to fix fontforge so that it doesn't hang.
>>
>> sure, although a crash has the nice advantage of knowing that a font
>> (collection) is crap (which i then can blacklist permanently in my mind)
>
> Sure, but there’s a difference between a crash and a freeze. The
> latter can be quite annoying for those who work with strange
> editors that run TeX somewhere in the background making it
> impossible to kill the process using Ctrl-C.

it depends what causes the freeze, for instance if there is a circular
reference someplace, then that is hard to catch unless one uses timeouts
which in themselves are tricky (not much different from browsers locking
up on some javascript); keep in mind that we load a whole font, while
other applications might do a partial load and never see the problematic
data (maybe even ignore portions of the font)