[NTG-context] Simplefonts

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:02:03 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce a new version of the simplefonts code. Thew new version of the code
is a complete rewrite and brings many changes.

1. The module is now part of the core and no external module is needed anymore.

2. The commands to select a font have changed to commands which fit better to context normal syntax.

3. I removed the keys to enable font expansion and protrusion, when you need them use \definefontfeature.

To use a font with the simplefonts code two ways are available. The first method is to create
one or more typefaces and load it with \setupbodyfont. A complete example for this is:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [DejaVu Serif]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [DejaVu Sans]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mono]  [DejaVu Sans Mono] [feature=none]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext
\startlines
\rm DejaVu Serif
\ss DejaVu Sans
\tt DejaVu Sans Mono
\m{c^2 = a^2 + b^2}
\stoplines
\stoptext

The second method is similar to the old commands of the simplefonts module (e.g. \setmainfont)
where the font is enabled after it was set and no \setupbodyfont is necessary. Below is a example
for this method but I recommend to avoid this method because it’s slow when you set font a font
for each style in your document.

\setupfontfamily [serif] [DejaVu Serif]
\setupfontfamily [sans]  [DejaVu Sans]
\setupfontfamily [mono]  [DejaVu Sans Mono] [feature=none]
\setupfontfamily [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\starttext
\startlines
\rm DejaVu Serif
\ss DejaVu Sans
\tt DejaVu Sans Mono
\m{c^2 = a^2 + b^2}
\stoplines
\stoptext

Another feature of simplefonts is the ability to set a fallback font when you need certain glyphs
from a different font (e.g. for cyrillic ) which aren’t available in the mainfont of the document.
To set such a fallback font the code provides the \definefallbackfamily command where you
can set in the fourth argument the range for the replacement characters.

\definefallbackfamily [mainface] [serif] [DejaVu Serif] [range=cyrillic,force=yes]
\definefontfamily     [mainface] [serif] [TeX Gyre Pagella]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext

\input knuth

Традиционная систематика лишайников оказывается во многом условна и

\stoptext

Wolfgang