[NTG-context] texlive vs. Context minimal on Windows

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Aug 31 17:40:57 CEST 2013

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 16:26:48 +0300
Mari Voipio <mari.voipio at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM, john Culleton
> <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > when a user downloads Context Minimals on a Windows partition what
> > must they do to run the programs such as context and mtxrun? Go to
> > a text console?
>
> In Windows it is called Command Prompt, but yes. Unless you also
> install a ConTeXt compatible editor like SciTe.
>
> Don't know if TeXLive for Windows contains an editor that works with
> the distribution's ConTeXt - in that case it might be a smarter choice
> despite being slightly outdated.
> I must admit that I haven't tried TeXLive on my Windows machine, I
> follow my own advice
> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Windows_Installation:_ConTeXt_Suite_with_SciTe)
> and run ConTeXt Suite with SciTe.
>
> BTW, why minimals and not the full ConTeXt Suite (the one called
> earlier standalone)? I mean that if you are prepared to install
> TeXLive, this shouldn't be a space issue. Just curious...
>

> Regards,
>
> Mari

I can use the standard context product. Unfortunately for me The
download for windows of either version requires an internet connection
and in Windows I am still fighting that problem. Texlive comes on a
downloadable dvd image. That dvd is OS agnostic. I have loaded it
on Win XP, Win 7  and Slackware linux.

If there were a way to download minimals or the full context suite for
windows as an iso image I would be home free. But fate is not so kind
to me.

Just fyi TeXlive when installed on Windows also loads a program
submenu, and one of the entries there is texworks. So I can pretty much
insulate my users from dreaded (by some) command line. That was the
reason for my original question.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press