[NTG-context] LuajitTeX fails to load font

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Aug 24 01:54:37 CEST 2013

On 8/23/2013 11:14 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the following example compiles fine with LuaTeX, but LuajitTeX fails
> to find the font.
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \definefont[Sheherazade][name:scheherazade*arabic at 18pt]
> \starttext
>    \Sheherazade أهلا بالعالم!
> \stoptext
>

> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'scheherazade' is not found using lookup 'name'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font 'scheherazade', loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define 'scheherazade' as 'Sheherazade--0'
>
> The font is in the font database and regular LuaTeX succeeds.
>
>    mtxrun --script fonts --list -all scheh
>
>    scheherazade         scheherazade   /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf
>    scheherazadenormal   scheherazade   /home/marco/.fonts/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf

Hard to say what is the issue but it is not a luajittex issue. We don't
do anything special, for instance jit is turned off because there is no
gain at all (actually with jit enabled, the run is slower). So we only
use the luajit virtual machine (in mkiv).

There is however one difference and that is the compiled lua code: lua
and luajit have incompatible formats (apart from the fact that luatex is
5.2 and luajittex is 5.1++). Normally compilation happens automatically
i.e. when a font is loaded by luatex, context will generate the relevant
compiled file when luajittex is used.

One possibility is that there is some mismatch in version numbers that
gets unnoticed. In such case, as Aditya suggests, wiping the cache is an
option.