[NTG-context] Overriding pdfview

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jun 26 21:29:55 CEST 2013

On 6/26/2013 6:11 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Bill Meahan
 >
>>         I don't have "sumatra" and do not wish to install it just to
>>         satisfy this one application. WTH is it anyway? (I know what
>>         it is, it's a rhetorical question). Making some obscure pdf
>>         viewer the default with no clear way to change it is not a
>>         good idea. For Windows, the vast majority of people have
>>         Acrobat Reader which is very often preinstalled. For Linux,
>>         it's less clear what the default should be but {xpdf
>>         |evince|acroread} are quite common. Can't speak to OSX as I've
>>         never used it but I'd bet a coffee Acrobat Reader is (or can
>>         be) there, too.

- on none of my window boxes acrobat was preinstalled
- there is no robust way to start acrobat
- pdfopen has to be adapted to major updates of acrobat
- there is (at least on my machine) a potential clash between reader and
professional
- acrobat occasionally tends to block
- the latest version of acrobat has funny popups when opening docs

while sumatrapdf

- is pretty fast
- has matured quite well
- remembers the current page
- renders quite ok
- even supports some basic interactivity
- (has an ugly yellow pop up windows but those can nowadays be recolored)
- can be installed as portable application
- works ok wine/linux (in fact has my preference now when on linux)

so, enough reasons for me to have changed the defaults (esp because one
can always set different defaults)

>     Although I first discovered this when trying to use SciTE, it does
>     the same thing if invoked from the command line. The pdf viewer does
>     not appear in any of the SciTE *.properties files.
>

> maybe
> context --autopdf=acrobat <yourfile.tex>
> context --autopdf=fullacrobat <yourfile.tex>

or in a scite user properties file:

if PLAT_WIN
     name.flag.pdfopen=--autopdf=acrobat