[NTG-context] two questions on paragraphed linenotes

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 20 18:51:16 CEST 2013

On 6/19/2013 9:45 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
> Dear Hans,
>
> I'd like to introduce a friend into composing critical editions using
> ConTeXt. I have made some tests myself, and I'd like to know a couple
> of issues about paragraphed linenotes before start explaining.
>
> The first issue is about note split. When I started using ConTeXt, I
> realized that footnotes might be placed in the next page (unless
> split=verystrict is set). Fearing the same results in linenotes, I set
> this, but this lead to wrong separation between body and notes (at
> least on my examples). My question is: does the default split value
> for paragraphed linenotes keep all notes in the same page?
>
> The second question is on the space before linenotes that separates
> from text body. With your fix from last week, things have improved a
> lot. You told me is tricky. If you allow me a (naive) question:
> wouldn't it be possible that ConTeXt would check whether body lines
> respect the before distance of the first paragraphed linenotes and move
> as many lines that don't respect this distance to the next page?
>
> There are another issues. I'd love to use ConTeXt for critical
> editions. But I need to know both issues first.

linenotes are just notes so no fundamental difference apart from tricky
referencing

paragraph nodes are somewhat complex because we need to fake vertical
height while adding horizontal content

the possibilities and limitations are mostly related to limitations in
tex itself

of course i'll do my best to bypass/correct problems when possible using
lua magic