[NTG-context] orphans and widows in poems

Bill Meahan subscribed_lists at meahan.net
Mon Jun 17 02:36:51 CEST 2013

On 6/16/2013 3:46 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> I'm afraid that I get widow lines in the lines environment.
>
> Is there no way to avoid orphans and widows in the lines environment?
It's a bit ugly, but if the poem consists of individual stanzas, you can
put each stanza in an non-bordered frame.

e.g.:
% Set up the lines environment to put the contained lines in a frame so
they are kept together
\setuplines[indenting={yes,small,even},       <--  whatever options you want
    before={\startframedtext[frame=off]},
    after=\stopframedtext]

% Then wrap your stanzas in individual line environments
           \startlines
             A maiden fair was seated there,
             Her hair of fine-spun gold.
             Azure eyes so clear and bright,
             So wondrous to behold.
           \stoplines

A frame will never be split across pages.

BTW this "trick"is on the wiki on the "Verse" page.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland Michigan