[NTG-context] font trickery

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Wed May 15 00:51:00 CEST 2013

Hi Hans,

On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:01:36 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> I'm on-and-off working on the more technical font manual and in the
> process also check some old code i've laying around (deciding on what to
> include and not). I'm also revising the tracer styles.
>
> Which makes me wonder: are there specific additional features that one
> would like to see in context (mkiv only of course) with respect to font
> support?

This may be beyond the scope of your current plans, but worth considering:
It would be nice to have a mechanism where we can override/add opentype
gsub and gpos features. Early on in the history of luatex we once had a
mechanism that did this using FontForge's version of Adobe Feature Files.
 From what I understand, the AFF syntax is finally mature and supports all
lookup types:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/topic_feature_file_syntax.html

Or maybe we have our own syntax in lua, goodies etc. Anyway, a way to
control/override opentype gsub and gpos behavior would be interesting.
Even if a total controller is too ambitious/unwieldy, just being able to
do a few basic gsub/gpos tricks may be useful for, e.g., bugs in the font.

Anyway, something to think about.

Best wishes
Idris
--