[NTG-context] the difference between \def and \define

Marco Patzer homerow at lavabit.com
Tue Apr 16 12:11:32 CEST 2013

On 2013–04–16 Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I'm not lobbying for define to have something similar, I just want
> to point out that it would be in the spirit of convergence between
> ConTeXt and Lua. It certainly isn't an urgent need, but having
>
> \define[one,two,three]
>
> wouldn't be absurd, now would it?

Sorry, misunderstanding on my part. That one looks fine. I thought
we're talking about translating the number to words, which wouldn't
make any sense:

  \define[3]\foo{#one, #two, #three}

I still don't think it's necessary to use named parameters with
\define. For modules most likely \def, \setvalue or texdefinition
are being used and \define for in-document markup, wherefore
numbered parameters are perfectly fine. The only thing that could be
improved is a definition which doesn't interfere with \asciimode,
but that's low priority and can easily be worked around.

Marco