[NTG-context] the difference between \def and \define

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Tue Apr 16 11:10:30 CEST 2013

On 04/16/2013 11:05 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to use named parameters with
> \define, since you explicitly pass the parameter*number*  in
> brackets. You cannot refer to a number by name. Well, you could
> theoretically, but I'd strongly object.

Just out of curiosity: why would you object? In Lua, we have the syntax

function whatever(one, two, three)
   do something with(one, two, three)
end

I'm not lobbying for define to have something similar, I just want to
point out that it would be in the spirit of convergence between ConTeXt
and Lua. It certainly isn't an urgent need, but having

\define[one,two,three]

wouldn't be absurd, now would it?

Thomas