[NTG-context] float combinations

Robert Blackstone blackstone.robert at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 15:05:32 CEST 2013

On 13 Apr 2013, at 13:30 , Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau at cea.fr> wrote:

> This is probably not exactly what you want, however, one can use list=
> in \startplacefigure\stopplacefigure to differentiate between the
> figure caption and its listing in the list of figures.
>

> \startplacefigure [title={Dutch scenery.
>    \startitemize [n]
>    \startitem A cow. \stopitem
>    \startitem A mill. \stopitem
>    \stopitemize},
>    list=Figure title,
>    reference=fig:scenery]
>
>    \startcombination [2]
>        {\externalfigure [cow]  [width=.5\textwidth]} {a}
>        {\externalfigure [mill] [width=.45\textwidth} {b}
>    \stopcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> A cow is shown in \in{figure} [fig:scenery]a.

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your reaction and your suggestions.
Indeed, it is not exactly what I envisaged. I would be happiest if there were a way to add a and b as a suffix to the number, like Figure 2a.
With combinations it is easy to have a general Caption and specific captions for the components of the combination. But for the List of Figures I see no other possibility than, for instance "2   Dutch scenery. a. Cow, b. Mill".
In fact I have no problems when I can make use of a combination, but, as I wrote, sometimes combinations are impossible for lack of space on the page.

What you describe as a challenge for Hans could be perfect, I think, provided an itemization can be interrupted and continued on next page. (I tried your liitle code snippet but ConText would not have it.)
Splitting a float combination might turn out to be simpler. Only I have no clue as to how to achieve that.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Robert