[NTG-context] upto current

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Mar 19 19:47:09 CET 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Hans Hagen wrote:

> One these days there will be a first iteration of this years 'current'
> release. This has to do with the texlive code freeze.

Are there any plans to do an actual development freeze a few weeks before
the TL code freeze to ensure that the TL version is not beta quality.

Although most active users use ConTeXt standalone and are willing to
update frequently, TL still plays an important role in introducing new
users to ConTeXt. An experienced TeX user who wants to try ConTeXt is more
likely to try ConTeXt distributed as part of TL rather than ConTeXt
standalone. When there are serious bugs with ConTeXt TL, it gives the
impression that ConTeXt is not a mature macro package.

As anecdotal evidence, I used ConTeXt TL for my most recent article for
tugboat. There were some serious bugs in ConTeXt TL (multi-column
footnotes not working, marking styles not working, wrong font scaling,
etc.) and I had to struggle to get everything to work correctly. Most of
these bugs were fixed in the latest beta. But if I were a new user, I
would not have the patience to download and test the latest beta when a
supposedly stable release has serious bugs.

So, I'd like to suggest that for a few weeks before the TL freeze, we do a
ConTeXt-beta freeze with only changes being bug fixes.

Aditya