[NTG-context] \| should give two || and not one

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Feb 19 11:56:25 CET 2013

Hi Mikeal,

Am 19.02.2013 um 10:50 schrieb Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

[snip, snip]

>> a next step (already partially done) is that we organize the names in
>> dictionaries as in open math (a bit of work)
>>

>>> Me, I prefer names that reflect the their functions,
>>

>> me too and i wonder if we should have proper names as well i.e. use verbose
>> names as default (in char-def.lua) and define the short ones as synonyms (in
>> a tex file)
>>
>> Hans

[snip, snip]

> Fine. In principal I've nothing against typing || for double bars
> (even though people moving from TeX/LaTeX probably will be used to |
> for one bar and \| for two bars). Some questions:
>
> * Can one expect to get the right (that is the same as \Vert gives)
> spacing by typing || (two bars) in ConTeXt in the future?
	I think we need to find a between input shortcuts and
	feasiblity. One could just use unicode 02016 and \Vert.
	In unicodemath you also have \Vvert for three bars.

> * Sometimes one would like to write absoulte value of z times absolute
> value of w, i.e. |z| times |w|. What if one writes |z||w|, will the
> double bar in the middle be equivalent to \Vert? (That is not wanted)
	The proper way to lay this out is with a little whitspace between
	the to values, so input should be |z| |w| and not as |z||w| !

> * Will it be possible to write \Bigl|| and \Bigr|| to scale both bars
> to other sizes?
> * What if one would like to have three bars with the same spacing
> between the bars as in \Vert?
	See above!

regards
	Keith.