[NTG-context] External figures from other folders

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Feb 5 18:18:22 CET 2013

On 2/4/2013 5:07 PM, Mari Voipio wrote:

> This way I didn't need to change the names of my graphics nor my code.
> It was also handy when translations arrived in batches; I translated
> the graphics one by one and could always compile a proper looking
> document, first with all graphics in English, then some in the target
> language, finally fully translated - and still, if a new version of
> the wiring drawing turned up, I only had to update the master
> directory and then remember to compile the translations to get the
> changes in.

Here's another one handy for manuals:

In the preamble or environment:

     \defineexternalfigure[sizeone][width=5cm]
     \defineexternalfigure[sizetwo][height=4cm]

(these can also inherit: \definexternalfigure[a][b][frame=on])

In the document source:

     \externalfigure[cow][sizeone]
     \externalfigure[cow][sizetwo][frame=on]

A way to get consistent scaling (probably one of the oldest features ..
in mkii it's part of \useexternalfigure but in mkiv this has been split
into two commands with a cleaner inheritance model).