[NTG-context] Typesetting LibreOffice (ODT) documents with ConTeXt

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Wed Jan 30 20:45:38 CET 2013

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 12:31:51 -0700, Bill Meahan
<subscribed_lists at meahan.net> wrote:

> I scoured the wiki and mailing-list without finding a definite answer.
> The most recent discussion I can find is from 2006 and at that time it
> was "possible" but nobody had yet developed the appropriate template,
> XSLT style-sheet, module or whatever to actually do it.
>
> For a number of reasons (including an absolute necessity to produce MS
> compatible .doc files) I need to maintain and write documents using
> LibreOffice Writer (or OO.org Writer) but the quality of the PDF files
> is, shall we say, not satisfactory. Exporting to LaTeX 2e is possible
> (and standard equipment in LO-W) but after using both for a while now, I
> vastly prefer ConTeXt. I could probably use something like the TEI tools
> to transform the ODT file to XHTML or TEI p5 and process that but I've
> found over many years such intermediate transformations have a lot of
> problems of their own.
>
> I don't need math support for /my/ work but I am sure others who do need
> it would like to follow the same route to great PDFs.

Have you considered using markdown/pandoc? You can either

1) convert odt to markdown, then markdown to context. Or better:

2) write in markdown and convert to odt/docx or context as needed (via
pandoc). ConTeXt also has a markdown mode so you can also choose to
process markdown directly in mkiv.

Unless your typesetting needs are really complicated, 2) may be worth
checking out. For simple academic work (e.g. journal articles) destined
for a Word/docx workflow this is my preferred option.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid