[NTG-context] Problem with ConTeXt (MkIV), Hebrew and ligatures

Simo Ojala smsojala at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:27:27 CEST 2012

This is a problem originally posted in TeX/StackExchange. However, since
I have not had any luck in finding a solution I post it here too. I am
confident that somebody here should know the answer.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/73970/problem-with-context-mkiv-hebrew-and-ligatures

"Since I last played with the latest ConTeXt MkIV, there has been
introduced this new feature. It now seems to combine Hebrew characters
automatically when possible to ligatures. So for example. If I have a
word with following two characters:

U+05D5 (HEBREW LETTER VAV)
U+05BC (HEBREW POINT DAGESH OR MAPIQ)

ConTeXt will combine these to:

U+FB35 (HEBREW LETTER VAV WITH DAGESH)

However, I would need to disable this feature for a number of reasons.
For example, this breaks my little database query, because the query key
is changed before(?) macro gets it.

So if somebody would know how to turn this off and maybe also that what
has changed."

Sincerely,

Simo Ojala
smsojala at gmail.com