[NTG-context] isn't it too slow?

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue Dec 6 22:07:25 CET 2011

On 12/06/2011 06:15 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 6-12-2011 13:22, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> compiling this minimal file:
>>
>>     \definepapersize[aa][width=2cm,height=1cm]
>>     \setuppapersize[aa]
>>     \setuppagenumbering[location=]
>>     \usemodule[simplefonts][size=12pt]
>>     \definesimplefont[amsmile][TeX Gyre Pagella]
>>     \starttext
>>     \TeX\ \amsmile \TeX
>>     \stoptext
>>
>> using
>>
>>     This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011061416 (rev 4277)
>>     ConTeXt ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV fmt: 2011.8.1 int: english/english
>>
>> took
>>
>>     system          | total runtime: 144.057
>
> that can be because you ask for a font by name in which case the font
> name cache is regenerated ... so that happen seldom
>
>> Replacing the TeX Gyre Pagella font with small caps only takes
>>
>>     system          | total runtime: 6.753
>
> probably a first time caching of the font

When I update TeXLive 2011 invoking:

	tlmgr update --self --all

after that I have to manually run:

	 mtxrun --script fonts --reload

if anything on the ConTeXt system has changed.

Otherwise, things like this happen every time I compile a ConTeXt document.

I guess there might be something wrong in tlmgr when updating ConTeXt,
but this is beyond my knowledge.

>> I guess something is wrong here, even if I'm doing something wrong.
>
> successive runs should be fast

If I don't regenerate the font cache as above, I get this mess every
time I compile a ConTeXt document invoking a system font by name.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk