[NTG-context] Simplefonts: Font scaling problem

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sat Nov 12 11:01:52 CET 2011

On 11/11/2011 06:20 PM, Christian wrote:
> Good evening!
>>  I want to scale a font loaded via the simplefonts so sans and serif have the
>>  same x-height.
>>  But as soon as I use a font size larger than 12pt, the scaling is somehow off or
>>  ignored.
>>  Example:
>>
>>  \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>  \setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality]
>>  \setmainfont[Times New Roman]
>>  \setsansfont[Arial][scale=0.863]
>>  \starttext
>>  \setupbodyfont[6pt]
>>  06pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine
>>  \setupbodyfont[12pt]
>>  12pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine, too
>>  \setupbodyfont[14pt]
>>  14pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %here it starts to be off
>>  \setupbodyfont[16pt]
>>  16pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\
>>  \stoptext

Your example is a bit difficult to test here because it's
windows-centric, I don't have Arial on my system. But by looking at it,
you should have something like this in your file before setting the fonts:

\starttypescript [sans] [default] [size]
\definebodyfont [16pt] [ss] [default]
\stoptypescript
\definebodyfontenvironment[16pt]

and so on for other arbitrary sizes. ConTeXt doesn't define complete
environments for every imaginable size (but I imagine Wolfgang may come
up with a clever solution within his module).

HTH

Thomas