[NTG-context] handling fonts with missing math

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Oct 1 10:56:43 CEST 2011

On 30-9-2011 23:39, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 19:57, Hans Hagen<pragma at wxs.nl>  wrote:

>>> How should we define trypescripts to avoid interference then?
>>
>> A typeface definition normally has a matching monospace and math definition
>> (so: ss + tt + mm or rm + tt + mm or in some cases rm + ss + tt + mm). Of
>> course some relative scaling has to be considered then.
>
> Do you want to say that we need an explicit definition of LM Math?
>
> Just curious: how much information is missing/how much would would it
> be if we would want to create a virtual math font by combining LM +
> populating italic/bold/bold italic latin and greek math alphabets from
> text font? Would that look horrible because of lack of information
> about glyph metrics?

that is relatively easy: just make a lfg file that contains the
specification (and choose some math font that suits)

my guess is that it will look bad in most cases

we might consider making a sort of generic partial math font (maybe even
needs to be designed) that sort of fills in the usual bits and pieces
(root signs, arrows etc) in a way that matches an average font

(we probably need a few weights then)

of course that would only work for not too fancy math