[NTG-context] IPA symbols in MKIV

Otso Helenius context at pi-xi.net
Mon Sep 19 11:56:48 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm having a trouble getting IPA symbols to show up with MKIV. I've
read through the old threads about using IPA, and it seems there is no
module like tipa for ConTeXt for easy input.

I've tried also using SIL Gentium as the main font and entering the IPA
symbols directly as UTF-8, but only a part of them will render (even
though they all exist in the actual font in the right plane and are
viewable in other programs). Almost none of the diacritics render.

\definetypeface [MyFace][rm][serif][gentium][default][encoding=uc]
\setupbodyfont[MyFace, 11pt]

\starttext
n̥ d̥ ̊ɭ˔ ʎ̥˔
\stoptext

only n, d and ̊  will render in the PDF. In other apps using Gentium
all the glyphs are visible.

Is there a way to output IPA symbols correctly (when they are entered
as UTF-8), or would it be possible to introduce a macro/module with an
environment like \startipa \stopipa and commands for entering the
symbols inside the environment? Entering some of the symbols correctly
(such as velarized or pharyngealized diacritics which should appear on
top of the letter) is hard when done directly with Unicode, so at least
TeX-like shorthands for all the symbols and diacritics would really be
appreciated.

Best regards,
Otso Helenius