No subject

Sun Apr 3 13:00:39 CEST 2011

> appealing. I would change some minor details, though (But I'm sure you've
> had your reasons :)
> -Structure level 2 and 3 are not visually distinct (only by the numbers)
> see e.g. page 65. Maybe using italics for the 3rd level (like Bringhurst
> does it) would help to distinguish the titles.
> -No spacing after paragraphs if you already use indent. (Afaik the
> consensus is "indent or space, not both")
> -Indenting after a picture or line of code looks odd to me and can cause
> strange results. (See e.g. page 65. After "rm -rf /*" there is an indent in
> the middle of the sentence.
> -There are some issues with the links in the bibliography (e.g. page 99).
> Also, bibliographies should be set flushleft imho, due to their brief nature
> they don't really provide enough words to allow automated paragraph
> construction. The result is a somewhat uneven feel due to big word spacing.

All very good points, thank you!

> But who am I to grouch? My thesis currently consists of 5 pages xD so I
> should really not be pointing fingers here^^
> Again, congratulations on your thesis.

And good luck to you on yours!

Cheers,
John

--0015173ff5bcf632d704a90a8890

an <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:metan0r at gmx.de">metan0r at gmx.de</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
&gt; One of the things this list might be excited about is the typography i=
tself. I<br>
&gt; use many of Robert Bringhurst&#39;s suggestions, and I think the outpu=
t is much<br>
&gt; the better for his advice.[^1] The HTML version was never totally fini=
shed (I&#39;d<br>
&gt; prefer it to have JavaScript interaction and more Web-specific functio=
nality).<br>
&gt; In fact, I had quite some plans for it, but as the deadline of the the=
sis<br>
&gt; approached, I necessarily poured my efforts more into content than<br>
&gt; presentation, and where presentation was concerned I was much more<br>
&gt; preoccupied with the Context version. All in all, I am happy with the =
thesis<br>
&gt; but I also know that it could use some work. If you have any feedback,=
 please<br>
&gt; let me know.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; [^1]: If anyone is interested, I&#39;m thinking I might make a module =
that sets up<br>
&gt; the environment according to these conventions.<br>
 would provide the necessary flexibility, though. Maybe a style collection =
(with commented code and linked sample output PDFs) in the wiki would do th=
e job. Like there is for the biochemistry textbook. From there users could =
just use it as a whole or adapt it to their needs.<br>

 like to make it as easy as possible for people who just want to use defaul=
ts to do so. One solution is to have a script that generates a scaffold env=
ironment inside a Context source file. Then they do not need to keep multip=
le templates around or have internet access when creating a document. (I kn=
ow that for experienced Context users, having some .env files or source tem=
plates around is no problem, but I&#39;m thinking of users who are less exp=
erienced or just want to typeset Markdown documents without messing with Te=
X). <br>
 myThesis.tex<br>=A0<br>A style I am _really_ excited about is Tufte&#39;s,=
 something along the lines of the &#39;tufte-latex&#39; package (but withou=
t the dozen or so dependencies it requres in LaTeX, since we should be able=
 to do all that functionality just from core Context :)<br>
e=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); =
padding-left: 1ex;">