[NTG-context] \setscript[hanzi] and kana (Wolfgang Schuster)

S Barmeier severinbarmeier at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 20:23:12 CEST 2011

On 06/24/2011 12:39 AM, ntg-context-request at ntg.nl wrote:
>> > japanese is not yet defined; we need entries in scrp-ini and scrp-cjk for that, character categories and initializations and we need japanese expertise for that
> Japanese is supported (it?s only a few extra chars for the chinese code) and worked till February 2011 and I was no able to narrow it down.
>
> The function scripts.preprocess in scrp-ini.lua has at line 381
>
>                         if originals then c = originals[c] or c end
>
> which change the real character value to 65533 (REPLACEMENT CHARACTER), when i comment the line there is a line break (see attachment).
>
> Wolfgang

Japanese was working more or less a few months ago. I guess vertical
typesetting is a little more involved, but as far as horizontal
typesetting goes, most of the spacing is coded into the font already
(monospacing). When the Latin alphabet enters, as is becoming more and
more common, especially in technical literature, the monospacing breaks
down, and common practice is to just typeset paragraphs in block form,
adding the necessary spacing.

Typescripts are already working wonderfully in ConTeXt (thank you!), so
for now it should be only a matter of supporting the characters.

I don't know what character categories and initializations are, but if I
can be of any help, please let me know.

Severin