[NTG-context] ConTeXt support for DjVu backend

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jun 22 23:27:55 CEST 2011

On 22-6-2011 10:32, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 21:51 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> it's mostly an image format (efficient storage of scanned documents) and
>> in that sense it's an alternative (jbig2 is another candidate)
>>
>> Hans
>
> That's what I was thinking too at first, that's it's mostly for scanned
> documents. But since it is trying to be a replacement for PDF and it has
> most of the same features, I think it's more than just that now.

- the starting point is scanned images
- there can be an ocr layer but still the image is the core
- pdf is more: colorspaces, vector graphics, annotations, etc

So, a djvu document would be less sophisticated. It might not matter for
many cases, and one could probably make a backend to produce something
reasonable but it's not worth the trouble I fear. As mentioned, it's
probably easier to convert the pdf into a djvu with a postprocessor.