[NTG-context] LuaTeX + microtype: Small Caps vs. Letter Spacing

N. Lindenhayn mehl at lindenhayn.com
Tue Jun 14 21:52:02 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to see that by now almost all of microtype's features are
available in Lua, almost like in the old days. There's one thing that
seems a bit strange, though:

While I have no trouble applying letter spacing using \textls or
\lsstyle to regular, italic, or bold text, I can't get it to work on
small caps. What's even stranger: while this problem occurs with all
fonts I've tried, it does /not/ occur when I don't specify a font at
all. Consider the example below. The only way to get the correct output,
with spaced small caps, is to deactivate the \setmainfont line -- which
obviously isn't what you'd want :)

Any hints are appreciated; chances are I just have to add a thing here
or there.

best
Nils.

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\usepackage{fontspec,microtype}
\setmainfont{Minion Pro}%or TeX Gyre Termes, or Latin Modern Roman...
\begin{document}
stealing sheep\par
\textls{stealing sheep}\par
\textsc{stealing sheep}\par