[NTG-context] undefined control sequence bug with German umlaut in bibliography

Julian Becker becker.julian at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 10:43:42 CEST 2011

Thank you everybody for your answers.  Writing Tr{\"a}ger as Thomas
suggested works well, but unfortunately, I'm using Mendeley Desktop for the
management of my bibtex file and I can't seem to be able to influence the
way in which it encodes the special characters.

@Mojca: Indeed, it also fails if I just write "Träger" in UTF-8 encoding
(however, "Schräger" works just fine. All combinations where the "ä" is at
the third place of the word seem to fail.). The error message is similar but
slightly different now. The log file shows the following:
---------------
system > begin file test.tex at line 3
publications > loading database from test.bbl
(test.bbl
! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
l.1 \setuppublicationlist[samplesize={Tr
Ã06},totalnumber=1]
A funny symbol that I can't read has just been (re)read.
Just continue, I'll change it to 0xFFFD.

! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
l.5 n=1,s=Tr
Ã06]
A funny symbol that I can't read has just been (re)read.
Just continue, I'll change it to 0xFFFD.

! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
\doifassignmentelse ...gnmentelse \detokenize {#1}
=@@\@end@ \expandafter \se...
\dostartpublication ... ->\doifassignmentelse {#1}
{\getparameters [\??pb ][k...
l.9 \stoppublication

A funny symbol that I can't read has just been (re)read.
Just continue, I'll change it to 0xFFFD.

)
-----------------------

Julian

2011/6/4 Pontus Lurcock <pont at talvi.net>

> On Fri 03 Jun 2011, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
> > But I admit it's not easy to know that, bibtex documentation is a
> > real mess
>
> Patience please! ‘This document will be expanded when BibTEX version
> 1.00 comes out’ -- BIBTEXing, February 8, 1988.
>
> :-)
>
> Pont

Julian Becker
Institut für Angewandte Physik, R.123
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
Corrensstr. 2/4
48149 Münster / Westfalen
Tel. 0251 83-3 61 53
Mob. 0151 599 848 29
e-mail: j_beck16 at uni-muenster.de

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for it is the wellspring of life."