[NTG-context] DocBook in ConTeXt - any new ideas?

Thomas Schmitz tschmit1 at uni-bonn.de
Thu Jun 2 12:20:29 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 11:39:46 +0200
  Piotr Kopszak <kopszak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am beginning a rather tedious documentation project
>and will most
>   probably end up with DocBook. The fact is I haven't
>used it for any
>   serious work for about 10 years. Docbook In ConText
>haven't been
>   updated since 2003. Does it mean it's so perfect or
>instead rather
>   obsolete? Could you recommend other approaches which
>work
>   out-of-the-box (or almost). Obviously I would prefer
>ConTeXt based
>   solutions. DocBook is not mandatory in fact, I would
>happily learn  other
>   documentation system. Main prerequisite is utf-8
>output at least in
>   pdf and html and sensible defaults (this time I don't
>want to be a
>   typographer, nor I want to fiddle with structure).
>
>   Best
>
>   Piotr
>   --
>   http://okle.pl

Difficult to say of course without knowing the complexity
of your documents, but just a few thoughts: if you're
referring to Simon Pepping's "Docbook in ConTeXt," this
was targeted at mkii, so it will probably still work, but
could be considered obsolete. xml support in mkiv has
changed a lot, but is much more powerful and flexible.
It's fairly easy to write a stylesheet to translate your
xml for typesetting, so I would look at the relevant xml
documentation (like xml-mkiv.pdf) and make a fresh start.
You can always refine and elaborate things as you go, and
if you really hit a wall, there's the list.

Thomas