[NTG-context] a tiny set of documents for introduction to ConTeXt (for MacTeX)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:04:01 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the preparation for TL 2011 Richard Koch asked about the following:
>
>> We install some documentation about
>> ConTeXt, LuaTeX, and XeTeX in /Applications/TeX,  mainly
>> for people who only know LaTeX but would like to get a feel
>> for later developments. That documentation needs to be up to
>> date.
>
> At the moment there is the following document in there:
>
> The language mix
> Abstract
> During the third ConTEXt conference that ran in parallel to EuroTEX
> 2009 in The Hague we had several sessions where mkiv was discussed and
> a few upcoming features were demonstrated. The next sections summarize
> some of that. It's hard to predict the future, especially because new
> possibilities show up once LuaTEX is opened up more, so remarks about
> the future are not definitive.
>
> One document for XeTeX contains two paragraphs, demonstrating usage of
> Arabic, Hebrew and Japanese:
>
> \newfontfamily{\A}{Geeza Pro}
> \newfontfamily{\H}[Scale=0.9]{Lucida Grande}
> \newfontfamily{\J}[Scale=0.85]{Osaka}
>
> Here are some multilingual Unicode fonts: this is Arabic text: {\A
> السلام عليكم},
> this is Hebrew: {\H שלום}, and here's some Japanese: {\J 今日は}.
>
> The idea is to have a simple, yet powerful example showing some
> capabilities of ConTeXt, together with source code.

One example is too limited -- very user has different projects in
mind.  I remember the quote from someone at Adobe after they
saw some ConTeXt documents "we didn't know you could do that
with PDF".

> I find this important for promotion of ConTeXt to new users.
>
> The question is: does anyone have any good ideas what to put there?

I used to send people who wanted to find out what ConTeXt can do
to <http://www.pragma-ade.com/showcase.pdf>, but it doesn't work
for me on linux, only windows (the Mac here isn't on the network).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia