[NTG-context] [bibliography] publications layout

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Tue May 24 11:39:14 CEST 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Pontus Lurcock wrote:

>> ? I'm using "ams" there and realized that the title tag of @book is
>> not
>> treated that way (so with @book there are caps inside the title
>> without
>> extra {} in the bib-file).
>
> This is the case for most bibliography styles: journal articles only
> get capitals for the first letter, proper nouns, chemical symbols,
> etc.;
> Book Titles get Capital Letters for Most Words.

This is controlled by the "bst" style you use. If you look into the
directory

$CONTEXT/tex/texmf-context/bibtex/bst/context/

you'll find a number of them. They contain

FUNCTION {do.t.out}
{ duplicate$ empty$
     { pop$ pop$ write$}
     { "{" swap$ "t" change.case$ * "}" * * write$ pop$ newline$ }
   if$
}

this is the function that changes uppercase to lowercase (I have no
idea why this was ever considered a good thing, but scientists, as
opposed to scholars in the humanities, can be very strange people).
Further on, you'll find that this function is used in e.g.

FUNCTION {format.arttitle}
{ "" "\arttitle" title do.t.out }

if you change this to

FUNCTION {format.arttitle}
{ "" "\arttitle" title do.out }

the case will not be changed. And: this is something I found out by
sheer bloody-mindedness, I don't have the faintest idea about bst-
syntax, and from what I hear, most people think it's a bloody mess. So
use at your own risk...

HTH

Thomas