[NTG-context] \startquotation and citations

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Mon May 23 15:39:18 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I'm struggling with quotation blocks and proper placing of citations… In an ideal world I'd be striving for something like this:

\startquotation[source=…]
    \input tufte
\stopquotation

where … could be either of:

1. a simple string: {Edward Tufte},
2. a citation command: \cite[Tuf:yyyy]
3. a footnote: \footnote{See \cite[Tuf:yyyy]}

This should be typeset immediately after the closing delimiter and well before \stopnarrower.

In the real world (and with a deadline approaching rapidly) I've tried two approaches so far:

1. A hack dating back three years which bypasses the delimitedtext mechanism.

---
\long\def\startextendedquotation[#1]#2\stopextendedquotation
	{\bgroup\par
	 \blank[halfline]
	 \startnarrower[4em]
	 \symbol[leftquotation]%
	 #2\removeunwantedspaces
	 \symbol[rightquotation]#1
	 \stopnarrower
	 \blank[halfline]
	 \par\egroup}

\starttext

\input tufte

\startextendedquotation[\footnote{See Tufte…}]
    \input tufte
\stopextendedquotation

\input tufte

\stoptext
---

Here the footnote actually appears, however, the beginning of the quotation looks weird (and setting up margins etc. is a bit messy).

2. Another hack which employs delimitedtext but abuses its closing delimiter option:

---
\setupdelimitedtext
    [quotation]
    [leftmargin=4em,
     rightmargin=4em,
     spacebefore=halfline,
     spaceafter=halfline]

\starttext

\input tufte

\bgroup
\setupdelimitedtext
    [quotation]
    [right={\symbol[rightquotation]\footnote{See Tufte…}}]
\startquotation
    \input tufte
\stopquotation
\egroup

\input tufte

\stoptext
---

This approach places the opening delimiter nicely in the margin of the quotation block but sadly swallows the footnote (ordinary strings seem fine though).

How to combine the looks of 2 with the footnotes of 1?

Many thanks,
Oliver