[NTG-context] fit to width by negative letterspacing or narrowing

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Wed May 18 09:41:46 CEST 2011

Am 2011-05-17 um 13:53 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 17-5-2011 1:25, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Hello again, it's been a while... ;-)
>>
>> I need to pack fixed lines into a fixed width box.
>>
>> Some years ago I had something similar in plain PostScript, where I
>> pre-calculated the width of a text box, let the default font if it
>> would
>> fit my max size, otherwise try a narrow font and if that wasn’t
>> enough
>> decreased font size until it would fit.
>>
>> This time I've only one font and must not decrease font size, but
>> must
>> use negative kerning and perhaps some artificial narrowing.
>> How can I do that with ConTeXt?
>> I use MkIV, so any Lua solution is welcome.
>
> \starttext
>
> \definefontfeature[realugly][default][extend=0.25]
>
> \definedfont[Serif*realugly] Only You Can Read This
>
> \stoptext

Thank you - but this is fixed narrowing. I also found stretching to a
fixed width using \stretched:

\hbox to 3.9cm{\stretched{Täxt wÿth ſpöciäl çhaŕàćťërs}}

(You don’t need to escape Unicode chars anymore, in contrast to the
docs/source.)

But what I really need is some width checking like "if this line is
wider than 4cm, then use stretching/narrowing".
I don’t want to murder typography if the text is short enough.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/