[NTG-context] OT: drawing graphs: Asymptote, Gnuplot, MetaFun, …

Pontus Lurcock pont at talvi.net
Mon Apr 18 23:04:07 CEST 2011

On Mon 18 Apr 2011, Paul Menzel wrote:

> I only have little experience using Gnuplot and I have never used
> Asymptote or MetaFun. These three seem to be well integrated with
> ConTeXt and I guess in the end I could just create the image files
> and include these in to my ConTeXt source.

If you don't mind using external figures, I personally would recommend
matplotlib (as used to create the example you linked to) -- in which
case you already have an example script for your graph :-). The
annotation and labelling facilities are extensive (see
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/annotation_demo2.html
) and there is ample documentation. I used to be a happy Gnuplot user,
but I find that with matplotlib the easy things are just as easy, the
hard things are easier, and some of the impossible things become
possible.

I did give MetaFun a try before turning to matplotlib, but I found it
quite difficult to work with. That's strictly related to my personal
requirements and taste though -- there are many satisfied MetaFun
users on this list (and thus good support) and of course it is very
well integrated with ConTeXt.

Asymptote looks nice but I've never tried it. I think there have been
some issues with ConTeXt integration in the past (see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/54389 ) but am unsure
of the current state.

Hope this helps,

Pont