[NTG-context] Difference between texexec and context when using indent

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:46:30 CEST 2011

Am 18.04.2011 um 09:24 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> I did not know that it could be done with \setupblank. I was told that
> I needed to define a \myblank for it.

It isn’t possible to control the indentation with \setupblank but
for me it would be the right command. The only way currently is
to define your own \myblank command.

> But still I think it would be good that after a blank there is no indentation.
> Firstly: that is the way it works in mkii. Why does mkiv do it differently?

It’s not easy to say what’s the correct behavior of \blank should be,
i prefer the mkiv output because it’s same result as when you use \vskip:

\setupindenting[yes,medium]

\starttext

\input knuth

\blank

\input knuth

\vskip\lineheight

\input knuth

\stoptext

> Secondly: You use -in my opinion- next, because the first paragraph is
> clear that it is a new paragraph. After a bank (or a flowchart) it is
> clear that there starts a new paragraph. So it does not need to be
> indented in my opinion.

I showed in my example that \blank indents the following paragraph
only when you use the “first” key for indentation but not with “next”.

It’s also not always so easy to see the start of a new paragraph with
a small vertical distance like in the next example:

\setupindenting[yes,medium]

\starttext

\input knuth

\blank[small]