[NTG-context] Difference between texexec and context when using indent

Cecil Westerhof cldwesterhof at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 09:24:18 CEST 2011

2011/4/17 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com>:
>> With the following code:
>> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \input knuth
>>
>> \blank
>>
>> \input knuth
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> When using texexec (MKII) the paragraph after the \blank is not
>> indented. When using context (MKIV) it is. Why this difference?
>

> And you think it’s better to let \blank behave different dependent
> on the indenting settings?
>
> % engine=pdftex
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,first]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \blank
>
> \input knuth
>
> \page
>
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \blank
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> To control whether the next paragraph is indented or not should
> better be controlled with by \setupblank and not from \setupindenting.

I did not know that it could be done with \setupblank. I was told that
I needed to define a \myblank for it.

But still I think it would be good that after a blank there is no indentation.
Firstly: that is the way it works in mkii. Why does mkiv do it differently?
Secondly: You use -in my opinion- next, because the first paragraph is
clear that it is a new paragraph. After a bank (or a flowchart) it is
clear that there starts a new paragraph. So it does not need to be
indented in my opinion.

--
Cecil Westerhof