[NTG-context] luatex-cache setup

Marco netuse at lavabit.com
Tue Apr 12 18:46:05 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-12 Ernesto Posse <eposse at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm confused. my /etc/texmf.cnf file contains:
>
> TEXMFCACHE = /var/tex/cache
>
> and this directory exists but it is empty. Why is this being ignored?

What are the permissions of this directory?

> If I don't have a user-specific environment variable with that name,
> shouldn't the one from texmf.cnf be used?

In the minimals distribution this is the case, I think the
same goes for texlive.

> Furthermore, when I run
>
> kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFCACHE
>
> it shows that directory,

MkIV doesn't use kpsewhich, but this shows that the value
from your texmf.cnf is read.

> but when I run texconfig,

I don't know what texconfig is for.

> TEXMFCACHE does not
> appear under kpathsea variables. What is the problem?

I don't use texlive, I can only speak for the minimals
distribution. But you can try the following (as a normal
user):

1) Create a cache directory somewhere
2) set TEXMFCACHE to this directory and export it
3) Run mtxrun --generate
4) Run context --make
5) Run context on a simple hello world file

The generated formats should be placed in the new cache
directory.

> PS: I'm running context 2009.11.26-2, luatex 0.60.1-1build2,
> texlive-luatex 2009-10 on ubuntu 10.10.

If you have troubles or want a more up-to-date system you
should consider installing the minimals.

Marco